英语口语练习小对话 第75期:单相思

英语口语 2019-07-30 06:12:03 78

迷你对话:

A:John hasn't got married up to now.

约翰迄今为止还未结婚了。

B:Don't you know that he has beencarrying a torch forMary for years?

难道你不知道他这么多年来一直单恋着玛丽吗?

A:Really? Does Mary know that?

真的吗?玛丽知道了吗?

B:Of course not.

当然不知道。

A:How silly John is.

约翰太傻了。

地道表达:

carry a torch for somebody

小编讲解:

torch愿意为“火把”,for是“为......而奋斗”,carry a torch for somebody即为某人而奋斗,亦即“爱上某人”,和汉语中的“单相思”意思相近。

支持范例:

Eg.The friends said that I am very silly, why can carryatorchfora flower.

朋友都说我很傻,为什么要单恋一枝花。

Eg.I 'm really afraid that I carry a torch for you .

我很害怕自己会痴恋着你

Eg.He is still carrying the torch for his old sweetheart。

他依然苦恋着旧情人。

视野拓展:

carry the torch 除了表示单恋,还可用以形容执着于某一事业或理想

Eg.Mike is known for carrying the torch for animal welfare.

麦克因执着于动物福利事业而闻名。

词海拾贝:

1.up to now:迄今,到目前为止

Eg.I haven' t got any letters from him up to now.

直到现在我还没收到过他的信。

Eg.Up to now everything has been successful.

到目前为止,一切都很顺利。

Eg.Up to now, we have had no offers.

迄今我们仍未报价。

Eg.Up to now, everything is all right. More power to your elbow!

到目前为止,一切都很好。加油做吧!

2.for years:多年以来

Eg.We have studied English for years.

我们学英语已有好几年了。

Eg.I hadn't seen a grasshopper for years since I moved into the city.

从我搬进城里以后,我有好几年没见过蚂蚱了。

Eg.Because of a family feud, he hasn't spoken to his wife's parents for years.

由于两家不和,他已经多年不与岳父母说话。

版权声明

本文来自投稿,不代表本站立场,转载请注明出处。

分享:

扫一扫在手机阅读、分享本文